Friday, January 30, 2015

Matelasse apron

I found this sweet old fashioned looking quilted pillow sham 

being discarded and decided to rescue it.

I loved the colors, greens and pinks with a floral motif

and best of all it was matelasse, the best fabric for an apron because 

it is so absorbent and perfect for a messy ceramic artist like me.

I cut away at the top corner

 and used the cut away piece as a pattern 

to cut the opposite side as well.

Then I folded over the back side twice, 

rolling and pinning it as I went along.

That made it easy to hand stitch it down.

 I cut away and used the bottom half of the back lining of the 

pillow case to create apron strings

by cutting it in 3 even pieces 

and making long tubes to attach to the neck and two sides.

Look how cute the scallop edging at the neck 

and along the sides of the apron shows so well!

This was super easy 

and I didn't even have to pull out my sewing machine.

Practical and pretty!

Grateful to share the creativity with GreenCraft magazine readers!



  1. Aren't you clever. What a great idea! Love to see a rescue like that! And thanks for stopping over to Chopsticks for my book look. I fear no one ever visits my poor little book blog anymore --= mostly because I never post anything new! So, glad you caught that one!

  2. Love it, Paulette! Reminds me of the apron you wear to class that I love. :)