Friday, July 5, 2013

One of my all time favorite designs,


It is beautiful and useful,

quirky and fun

and like nothing I have seen before.




 photo by the talented John Ellis



I was desperate for storage, 
as the historic beach cottage I live in was not built with closets in the 1920's

The design challenge was the very narrow 
and small space available to build in the stairs.




photo by John Ellis

The lower pullout was created to accommodate 
the additional steps needed to reach to the top.



photo by John Ellis


All the drawers are real and being used 
to store treasures and practicalities. 




Clients bolts of fabrics, misc. art supplies, 




 my sound system and Cd's and tapes. 






One of the small drawers that is above my head 
with the sea star handle created out of clay,
I designed to open from the top as it is more practical to access.





 The steps give me access to the loft, my little perch

 overlooking the sparkling Pacific Ocean,

with a cool bay seat created with an extra long twin mattress 

for additional sleeping and a great reading space.







 They say necessity is the mother of invention,

certainly true in this case!


(previously there was a ladder to climb upstairs) 


Grateful to have it published in 

Small Room Decorating Magazine!





10 comments:

  1. Extremely clever and very beautiful! We have the same storage problem at our beach house -- alas, no steps to convert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous view from your comfy loft. I don't think I would ever leave there.
    Don't you love it when you can create extra storage in such a practical way? Your steps/drawers look great!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this idea, one of my all time favorites. Your stair storage wall is amazing. I would love for you to link up to my ongong Inspire Me party. - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/172nd-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. How brilliant - and your cottage is just the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!
    Definitely your newest follower!
    Visting from Savvy Southern Style!
    Big hugs from Montreal
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this marvel myself!!! I climbed those stairs to that magic retreat...
    WHAT A CLEVER GIRL YOU ARE! Vickie & I had soooooooooo much hanging out with you & having lunch after our tour of your magical world. I LOVE the cottage & YOU my dear are such a breath of fresh air. Your design & decor are amazing. Hope we get to play ceramic sea shells like we discussed. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a magical place you have created Paulette! My friend Charlene (above) introduced you and your treasured space overlooking the ocean ~ your beautiful loft with the gorgeous lace looks so inviting and would make anyone who visits feel special. I live in San Francisco and hope to be able to visit your area soon.

    Deb
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH a cute place! I love those old cottages. I'd live in one if I was single! I've dreamed that forever, about how to furnish it slowly by finding just the right items. I love your stairs/drawers!! I'm in OC, so I know how beautiful it is where you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUCH a cute place! I love those old cottages. I'd live in one if I was single! I've dreamed that forever, about how to furnish it slowly by finding just the right items. I love your stairs/drawers!! I'm in OC, so I know how beautiful it is where you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those stairs are pure genius......I'd love to have the build-it schematic for those stairs. Perfect for all my sewing and craft stuff. They would work wonderfully in a tiny house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha! Well done, looks great! I’m trying to design/build something very similar, I’d love you’d help. Would you mind sharing any drawings or measurements? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete