Sunday, April 14, 2013

Seashore inspired mosaic tray






I began creating various sizes of ceramic tiles to use in an old 

wooden tray that I found at a thrift store.

 I chose to paint it all white. I had primer and house paint leftover 

from work around the cottage, and it worked perfectly on the 

old brown tray.



The goal was to incorporate the varying shades of Tiffany blue hues 

that I had been using on some of my latest ceramic serving pieces 

for alfresco dining at the cottage along with the color of new

 growth in the spring a lovely green that I had used to paint all the

 shutters around my historic cottage.


 I intended to use it for serving in the charming bricked in courtyard 

full of flowering plants and vines.



I added in some beautiful glass tile samples leftover 

from a sample card, some flat marbles typically used for floral

 arranging and even a few stray pearls, and vintage buttons just 

because I could!





Pieces with raised shells and embellishments I placed in the corners

 of the tray to reserve the center to be flat for serving.





I chose liquid nail to glue the pieces in place, and when it was 

completely set I used white grout following the manufacturer's 

direction to fill in all the spaces.






There are some days when it all comes together and causes your heart to sing! 

Thrilled to have it published in Somerset home!






.



7 comments:

  1. Just lovely...makes me feel like I'm at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW--this is so beautiful. The tiles look exceptional in the white tray--very creative. Love the colors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my vintage sewing book.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please -- all my favorite colors! The tiles are terrific and look perfect against that white background. I love the fish, the starfish -- I love them all. How wonderful they will be with your dishes!

    And thanks for stopping by The Marmelade Gypsy! I loved your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors and the different elements that you used for your tray. Very pretty and summery looking. Visiting you from Funky Junk party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My!! This is beautiful. Makes me want to go to Cape May!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute:) Love the theme, little fish and these adorable flowers. All together looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this. Such talent.....and thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete